AWS is seeking artists to create designs and paint murals on 8 storm drains in Historic Anacostia. The goal of these murals is to raise awareness of storm drains as a connection to our local waterways. Selected artists will receive a commission of $775 per storm drain. Materials (paint and brushes) will be provided. Designs are due by midnight on March 18th. Mural installation will take place on April 7, 2018.
- Designs should incorporate an environmental theme and include the text: #TrashFreeDC
- Design cannot incorporate the drain entrance as a “mouth” for any animal/creature/person/etc.
- Murals must be applied using environmentally-friendly paint. Paint, basic paint brushes, and rollers will be provided.
- Artists will be required to maintain the murals for up to one year after installation. This includes touching up worn away paint. In the event a mural needs maintenance, paint will be provided.
- Preference will be given to artists who live or work in Ward 8.
- Murals will be applied to a total of 8 storm drains in Anacostia. You may view a map of potential locations here.
- The storm drains that will be painted are of varying sizes. Most are square with a center manhole cover, like the one shown below:
Artwork will be reviewed and selected by a panel composed of local community members, ANC representatives, and staff from the Anacostia Watershed Society. Evaluations will be based on the following criteria:
- Aesthetic strength
- Incorporation of an environmental theme
- Submit up to 5 final designs. For each design, indicate rectangular or square shape, colors used, and a brief description about how the design helps raise awareness about our connection to our local waterways.
- A brief artist’s statement or bio that includes whether or not you live or work in Ward 8.
- A statement affirming your ability to paint the mural on April 7, 2018. The mural does not have to be completed on the same day, but the artist must commit to finishing it within a week.