Kingman Island Restoration Workday
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Saturday, October 12, 2019
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Location: Kingman Island, 575 Oklahoma Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002 (Map)
- The Entrance to Kingman Island is located on the far side of RFK Stadium's Parking Lot 6. It is accessible by bus, car, and rail. Please follow this link for more information: http://www.kingmanisland.org/maps-and-directions
Meeting spot: We will meet where the main path meets the Kingman Island Trail (Map). "The T", which can be seen in the above picture.
- To get to the meeting spot, you will need to cross 2 bridges. The first bridge will bring you to Heritage Island and the second bridge will bring you to Kingman Island. Keep walking until the trail reaches "The T".
Description: Volunteers will help with a Restoration Workday at Kingman Island! During this restoration workday, volunteers will help to remove invasive honey suckle to help create a picnic area with views of the Anacostia River.
Physical Requirements: This event will likely involve lifting, bending, and walking. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes and long pants for the duration of the event. This event is not recommended for small children or those with health issues. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
What to Wear/Bring:
- Reusable water bottle with water in it (no plastic bottles please!)
- Insect repellent
- Gardening/Work gloves
- Hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses are recommended
- Closed-toed shoes are required!!
- Long pants and socks recommended for invasive removal
Registration is required. Please register at least 2 days prior to the event date you chose to volunteer in order to receive additional information regarding the day of contact, proper clothing, etc.
For more information, contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.