Wetland Planting at the Bladensburg Wetlands
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Saturday, July 24, 2021
Time: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Meeting Location: Bladensburg Waterfront Park, 4601 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg, MD 20710 (map)
- There is ample parking available
- This site can be accessed by car, bus (Metrobus: T18, T14, F8), or bike trail
Description: Volunteers will help the Anacostia Watershed Society to plant wetland plants (bulrush and arrow arum) in the Bladensburg Wetlands. We will walk about a mile along the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail to get to the planting site. The Anacostia Watershed Society is restoring the Anacostia River's wetlands to their natural role as filters for pollution and sediment and habitat for a variety of wildlife. Our goal is to restore the Anacostia River to a swimmable and fishable river by 2025 and beyond and restoring our wetlands (once 2,500 acres, now less than 150 acres) is an important piece to achieving a clean and safe Anacostia River for all living in its watershed and for future generations.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult
- This event will likely involve lifting, bending, and walking in some muddy areas. To get to the site, volunteers will walk about a mile. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes and masks for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register at least 2 days prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
For more information before the event, contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
1. Self-Monitoring: All participants in the Anacostia Watershed Society’s (AWS) event are required to:
- Take your own temperature that day, prior to arrival at the event. If your temperature is 100.4 degrees or greater, or you have other COVID-19 symptoms, do not come to the event!
- If you are sick, please do not come to the event!
- If you have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 within the last 14 days, do not come to the event.
- If you have had any close contact with an individual who has a confirmed coronavirus diagnosis and/or who is presumed to have coronavirus, do not come to the event.
- If you become ill within one week of participating in the event, please consider reporting this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
2. Reservations. We are not accepting any walk-up participants. We are limiting the number of people at our events and pre-registration is required for each individual via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). This includes each participant completing our on-line waiver form.
3. Group Limits: Events are limited to groups of up to 20-25, depending on the activity and location. There may be fewer or more participants depending on the ability to social distance at a minimum of six feet and whether local directives allow.
4. Cleaning and Sanitizing: All must sanitize or wash their hands immediately upon arrival and after the event.
5. Physical Distancing: Participants must maintain a distance of greater than 6 feet from other persons on the land and on the water, throughout the event.
6. Equipment Handling: All participants are responsible for carrying any equipment they may use and they should not share equipment, such as paddles, water bottles, shovels, etc. This means carrying in-and-out, to and from the dock/project site, and making sure that they have washed their hands before and after with hand sanitizer or soap. Assistance in carrying boats or heavy equipment is allowed if the users maintain the required 6 feet distance. AWS strongly encourages proper handwashing/cleaning for all participants before and after events.
7. Bathrooms: When bathrooms are available, they can be used at one’s own risk. Please limit bathroom use to one individual at a time. Users must wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after use, and close the lid to the toilet, if there is one. If you must enter our facility, please only use the bathroom and do not tour the indoor facilities, which are currently closed.
Registration is required to participate in this event
Click here to register