Bioblitz Aquatic Survey at Buzzard Point
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Thursday, September 16, 2021
Time: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Location: Buzzard Point, we will meet at the dead end of First Street SW by the Anacostia River (Map)
- Please park in public parking spots in the vicinity (pay parking - having the ParkMobile app makes parking a little easier)
- Please arrive masked and plan to stay masked throughout the event!
Project: Join the Anacostia Watershed Society as we start off our Anacostia River Bioblitz weekend with an aquatic survey at Buzzard Point! This is an opportunity to explore the natural treasures of your Anacostia River, but more importantly, it will be your opportunity to do citizen science to help us document the biodiversity of the Anacostia River Watershed. The Bioblitz will be a weekend-long event from Thursday to Sunday (September 16-19) where you can make your own observations using the iNaturalist app, at your own pace, from anywhere within the Anacostia River Watershed. This is a great opportunity to be a nature geek and learn about the identification and ecology of some of the river's fascinating species.
Our main tool is the crowd-sourced (and free!) iNaturalist app (https://www.inaturalist.org/home).
We recommend you follow our Biodiversity of the Anacostia River project on iNaturalist: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/biodiversity-of-the-anacostia-river
Physical Level of Difficulty: Moderate
- This event will likely involve lifting, bending, and walking in mud. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
What to bring:
- We will be using the iNaturalist app for our documentation and identification. Create an iNaturalist account (click here to sign up), and download the app to your smartphone before you get there.
- Reuseable water bottle filled with water
- Hat and Sunglasses
- Closed-toed shoes that can get muddy (bring waders if you own your own pair)
- Dry bag/waterproofing device to protect your phone
- Insect repellent
- Sealable bag/dry bag for your other personal items
- Notebook & Pencil
- Facemask (participants who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, do not have to wear a mask, unless they are more comfortable doing so)
Registration is required. Please register at least 2 days prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
For more information before the event, please contact Jorge Bogantes Montero at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x118.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. Reservations. We are limiting the number of people at our events and pre-registration is required for each individual via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). This includes each participant completing our on-line waiver form. Prior to your scheduled event, you will also be required to complete our COVID-19 screening questionnaire as part of our confirmation of your participation.
2. Group Limits: Events are limited to groups of up to 20-25, depending on the activity and location. There may be fewer or more participants depending on the ability to social distance and whether local directives allow.
3. Self-Monitoring: All participants in the Anacostia Watershed Society’s (AWS) event are required to:
- Complete our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to your scheduled event.
- If you are sick (such as fever (100.4 or greater), cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), or have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 within the last 14 days, please do not come to the event!
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, please do not come to the event.
- If you become ill within one week of participating in the event, please consider reporting this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
4. Masks & Physical Distancing: Participants who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, do not have to wear a mask or physically distance, indoors or outdoors, unless they are more comfortable doing so.
Participants who are not fully vaccinated for COVID-19, must arrive masked and plan to stay masked throughout the duration of the event and practice physical distancing.
Registration is required to participate
Click here to register