Wild Rice Bag Collection by Canoe
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Wednesday, September 8, 2021
Time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Meeting Location: Langston Driving Range Parking Lot: 2556 Benning Rd NE, Washington, DC 20002 (+DCfirstname.lastname@example.org,-76.9659754,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b7b85fe99ee757:0xd93d23573bfb34d0!8m2!3d38.8999667!4d-76.963658">Map)
- Parking is available at this location
- The Minnesota Avenue Metro Station is about 1.2 miles away from this location (about a 23 minute walk)
- The Stadium Armory Metro Station is about 1.3 miles away from this location (about a 26 minute walk)
Project: Volunteers will help the Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) to collect bags containing wild rice (Zizania aquatica) by canoe from the wetlands by Langston Golf Course! For over 15 years, AWS has been collecting wild rice seed as part of our wetland restoration efforts in the tidal Anacostia River. The seed collected in the bags will be used for propagation in the Anacostia River in the spring of 2022 through mudballing (seeding) and the production of seedlings that will be transplanted in the river once they reach a suitable size.
On this workday we will collect the bags by clipping the seedhead stalks.
This event may require wading in the mud/water in warm weather conditions. Sunglasses are a plus to protect your eyes from the spiky wild rice seed. Bring plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult
- This event requires wading in the mud/water in warm weather conditions, lifting, and bending. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. Reservations. We are limiting the number of people at our events and pre-registration is required for each individual via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). This includes each participant completing our on-line waiver form. Prior to your scheduled event, you will also be required to complete our COVID-19 screening questionnaire as part of our confirmation of your participation.
2. Group Limits: Events are limited to groups of up to 20-25, depending on the activity and location. There may be fewer or more participants depending on the ability to social distance and whether local directives allow.
3. Self-Monitoring: All participants in the Anacostia Watershed Society’s (AWS) event are required to:
- Complete our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to your scheduled event.
- If you are sick (such as fever (100.4 or greater), cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), or have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 within the last 14 days, please do not come to the event!
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, please do not come to the event.
- If you become ill within one week of participating in the event, please consider reporting this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
4. Masks & Physical Distancing: Participants who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, do not have to wear a mask or physically distance, indoors or outdoors, unless they are more comfortable doing so.
Participants who are not fully vaccinated for COVID-19, must arrive masked and plan to stay masked throughout the duration of the event and practice physical distancing.
For more information before the event, please contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Registration is required to participate
Click here to register