Freshwater Mussel Tagging & Release at Langston
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Monday, October 18 2021
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Location: Langston Driving Range Parking Lot: 2556 Benning Rd NE, Washington, DC 20002 (Map)
- Parking is available at this location
- The Minnesota Avenue Metro Station is about 1.2 miles away from this location (about a 23 minute walk)
- The Stadium Armory Metro Station is about 1.3 miles away from this location (about a 26 minute walk)
Project: Volunteers will help AWS to tag freshwater mussels and release them by wading into the Anacostia River by Langston Golf Course! We will be walking in mud and water while wearing waders. If you don't have your own pair of waders, we will provide you with a pair. Just let us know your preferred shoe size during registration. Please keep in mind that our waders come in Men's shoe sizes.
In 2015, we started surveying the native species of freshwater mussels in the Anacostia River to understand their diversity and abundance. In 2018 we started a mussel propagation project partnering with the Harrison Lake National Fish Hatchery run by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Virginia collecting local broodstock from the Anacostia River. Volunteers are critical to keep this project going and to meet our goal of enhancing mussel populations to increase their water filtration capacity to help clean our river.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult
- This event will likely involve lifting, bending, and walking in mud using waders. Participants will be expected to wear waders and masks for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register at least 2 days prior to the event date you chose to volunteer in order to receive additional information regarding proper clothing, etc. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
For more information before the event, please contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- For those 12 years and older: Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), everyone 12 years of age and older is now eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccination. The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
- For those under 12 years old: We welcome those who are under age 12 and are not yet eligible for the vaccines to participate in our events, but they must follow the below additional requirements, including being masked for the duration of the event.
2. Self-Monitoring: All participants in the Anacostia Watershed Society’s (AWS) event are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 12 years or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVD-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, (even if you are fully vaccinated or have been tested), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
3. Masks & Physical Distancing: All participants must wear a mask properly (over the nose and mouth) and physically distance for the duration of our outdoor events. No indoor events are taking place at this time.
4. Reservations: We are limiting the number of people at our events. Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
5. Group Limits: Events are limited to groups of up to 20-25, depending on the activity and location. There may be fewer or more participants depending on the ability to social distance and whether local directives allow. • Note: Motorized Boat Tours are limited to up to 15-20 people depending on the ability to physically distance and whether local directives allow.
Registration is required to participate
Click here to register