CANCELLED: MLK Holiday Cleanup in Randle Highlands & Hillcrest
Note: This event has been cancelled due to inclement weather
Date: Monday, January 17, 2022
Time: 9:00 am - 11:00 pm (project can last 2-3 hours)
Meeting Location: Near the intersection of 28th St SE & Texas Ave SE, Washington, DC 20020 (Map)
- Street parking is available at this location
- Please plan to arrive and stay masked throughout the event!
Event Description: You will help the Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) with a trash cleanup in the park near Randle Highlands and Hillcrest communities! Over the past many years, volunteers have helped AWS to remove trash from various parks in the greater Washington, DC. In this event, trash will be picked up, bagged, and placed at two locations. The trash pile-up locations and project areas are mapped here. By participating in this project you will help us to prevent trash from going into the Anacostia River and beautify the communities.
This is also an excellent opportunity to learn about the trash challenges of the Anacostia and what is being done to address them!
Physical Level of Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- This event requires walking on uneven terrain, lifting, and bending. Facemasks must be worn for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register at least 2 days prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
For more information before the event, contact Stacy Lucas at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x119.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- For those 12 years and older: Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), everyone 12 years of age and older is now eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccination. The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
- For those under 12 years old: We welcome those who are under age 12 and are not yet eligible for the vaccines to participate in our events, but they must follow the below additional requirements, including being masked for the duration of the event.
2. Self-Monitoring: All participants in the Anacostia Watershed Society’s (AWS) event are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 12 years or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVD-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, (even if you are fully vaccinated or have been tested), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
3. Masks & Physical Distancing: All participants must wear a mask properly (over the nose and mouth) and physically distance for the duration of our outdoor events. No indoor events are taking place at this time.
4. Reservations: We are limiting the number of people at our events. Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
5. Group Limits: Events are limited to groups of up to 20-25, depending on the activity and location. There may be fewer or more participants depending on the ability to social distance and whether local directives allow. • Note: Motorized Boat Tours are limited to up to 15-20 people depending on the ability to physically distance and whether local directives allow.
Registration is required
Click here to register