Freshwater Mussel Release at Kenilworth
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Saturday, June 11, 2022
Time: 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Meeting Location: Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens (KAG): 1550 Anacostia Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20019 (map) - we will walk from the entrance of KAG to Kenilworth Lake, which is about a mile away, so please wear shoes you are comfortable walking in!
- The Deanwood Metro Station is about 0.5 miles away from this location (about an 11 minute walk)
- Parking is available at this location
Project: Volunteers will help AWS to release freshwater mussels into the Anacostia River! In 2015, we started surveying the native species of freshwater mussels in the Anacostia River to understand their diversity and abundance. In 2018 we started a mussel propagation project partnering with the Harrison Lake National Fish Hatchery run by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Virginia collecting local broodstock from the Anacostia River. Volunteers are critical to keep this project going and to meet our goal of enhancing mussel populations to increase their water filtration capacity to help clean our river.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- This event will involve lifting, bending, and walking. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes and/or waders for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- For those 5 years and older: Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), everyone 5 years of age and older is now eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccination. The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also requires that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
- For those under 5 years old: We welcome those who are under age 5 and are not yet eligible for the vaccines to participate in our events, but they must follow the below additional requirements, including being masked for the duration of the event.
2. Self-Monitoring: All AWS event and worksite participants are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 5 years or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are fully vaccinated, but are not up-to-date on your booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVD-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 10 days, (even if you are fully vaccinated or have been tested), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
3. Masks: Eligible participants (i.e. those meeting AWS's COVID-19 requirements--see above) are not required to wear a mask for outdoor events. No indoor events are taking place at this time.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
For more information before the event, please contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Registration is required
Click here to register