Garden Workday at Shining Stars Montessori Academy
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Saturday, August 13, 2022
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Meeting Location: Shining Stars Montessori Academy, 1240 Randolph Street NE, Washington, DC 20017 (Map)
- Parking is available at this location
- 0.5 mile (10 minute) walk from the Brookland-CUA Metro Station (Red Line)
Project: Volunteers will join the Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) to help with a Garden Workday at Shining Stars Montessori Academy, a RiverSmart School! During this workday we will focus on laying landscape fabric and re-spreading mulch to enhance the schoolyard for outdoor learning for Shining Stars Montessori Academy students. We will provide all necessary tools and training for this project.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Easy to moderate
- This event will involve digging, lifting, and bending. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know .
Registration is required. Please register prior to the event date to be confirmed and receive additional important project information.
For more information before the event, contact Alnisha Minter Harris at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x121.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- For those 5 years and older: Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), everyone 5 years of age and older is now eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccination. The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also requires that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
- For those under 5 years old: We welcome those who are under age 5 and are not yet eligible for the vaccines to participate in our events, but they must follow the below additional requirements, including being masked for the duration of the event.
2. Self-Monitoring: All AWS event and worksite participants are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 5 years or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are fully vaccinated, but are not up-to-date on your booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVD-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 10 days, (even if you are fully vaccinated or have been tested), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
3. Masks: Eligible participants (i.e. those meeting AWS's COVID-19 requirements--see above) are not required to wear a mask for outdoor events. No indoor events are taking place at this time.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
Registration is required
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER