River Terrace Trash Sorting Challenge at the Bostwick House
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Saturday, September 17, 2022
Time: 9:00 am -12:00 pm
Meeting Location: We will be meeting on location at the historic Bostwick House. It is located at 3901 48th St. in Bladensburg, MD 20710. You can access it from Annapolis Rd, Kenilworth Ave, and Quincy St. There is a fence around the property with one, large gate that will be open. Enter the property at this gate and proceed up the driveway up the hill. Please pull up the driveway as far as you can so others can fit behind you. Click here for a map of the location.
Event Description: Since its inception in 1989, AWS staff and volunteers have removed tons of trash from the Anacostia River each year. Our River Terrace Trash Trap cleanups have been a huge success in helping us to make progress towards our goal for a trash free Anacostia River. This trash trap catches trash before it ends up in the River! But our staff can’t manage this trap alone. Volunteers are critical to our plan to collect trash and monitor this trash trap.
At the event we will sort trash that has been removed from this trap into 13 categories; plastic bottles, plastic grocery bags, food wrappers, Styrofoam food containers, other Styrofoam products, recreational balls, other plastics, glass bottles, aluminum cans, tires, treated lumber, other non-plastics, and large items. We will count the pieces of trash and measure the weight and volume for each category while staying masked.
The data collected from our trash traps has helped to pass the (grocery) bag fee law in DC and brought a ripple effect into Montgomery County; and it has helped to ban the use of Styrofoam food packaging, etc. in DC, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County. We still need to work on trash items such as beverage bottles, cans, and food wrappers, which is why we need your help! The data you help us collect will be used to educate the public and advocate for a better practice, such as the Bottle Deposit Bill.
This is an excellent opportunity to learn about the trash challenges of the Anacostia and what is being done to address them!
Physical Level of Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Physical Requirements: The task requires squatting down for a relatively long time, and may be physically demanding. It is not suitable for young children. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes and facemasks for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know or consider joining another event.
Registration is required. Please register at least 2 days prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
For more information before the event, contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- For those 5 years and older: Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), everyone 5 years of age and older is now eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccination. The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also requires that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
- For those under 5 years old: We welcome those who are under age 5 and are not yet eligible for the vaccines to participate in our events, but they must follow the below additional requirements, including being masked for the duration of the event.
2. Self-Monitoring: All participants in the Anacostia Watershed Society’s (AWS) event are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 5 years or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVD-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 10 days, (even if you are fully vaccinated or have been tested), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
3. Masks: Eligible participants (i.e. those meeting AWS's COVID-19 requirements--see above) are not required to wear a mask for outdoor events. No indoor events are taking place at this time.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
Registration is required
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER