Habitat Restoration Workday at Heurich Park
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Friday, September 30, 2022
Time: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Meeting Location: Heurich Park: We will be meeting at Heurich Park parking lot at Nicholson Street and Ager Road, Hyattsville, MD 20782. If coming from Ager Road you would make the first left on Nicholson Street right by the Dog Park, drive 400 yards until you get to the parking lot right by the athletic field (Map).
- Heurich Park is located near the West Hyattsville Metro station, about a mile and a half away, making it a convenient location for anyone needing metro accessibility.
Description: Volunteers will join the Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) for a Habitat Restoration Workday at Heurich Park! We will focus on tree maintenance, taking care of the native trees we planted over 9 years ago. Tree care will include repairing tree shelters and fencing, and removing invasive vines to allow the native trees to continue to flourish. Maintaining these trees is important because they help to manage stormwater and filter surface water before it goes into the Northwest Branch of the Anacostia River. These trees also help to reduce soil erosion, provide food and shelter for a variety of birds and animals, and capture carbon emissions in the environment.
By participating in this project you will not only have the opportunity to learn about invasive plants and the ecology of the Anacostia River, you will help us to improve the habitat for wildlife and the water quality of the Anacostia River.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Moderate
- This event will likely involve lifting, bending, and walking. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
For more information before the event, contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- For those 5 years and older: Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), everyone 5 years of age and older is now eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccination. The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also requires that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
- For those under 5 years old: We welcome those who are under age 5 and are not yet eligible for the vaccines to participate in our events, but they must follow the below additional requirements, including being masked for the duration of the event.
2. Self-Monitoring: All AWS event and worksite participants are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 5 years or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are fully vaccinated, but are not up-to-date on your booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVD-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 10 days, (even if you are fully vaccinated or have been tested), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
3. Masks: Eligible participants (i.e. those meeting AWS's COVID-19 requirements--see above) are not required to wear a mask for outdoor events. No indoor events are taking place at this time.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
Registration is required
Click here to register