Wild Rice Bag Collection at Kingman Marsh
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2022
Time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Meeting Location: Langston Driving Range Parking Lot: 2556 Benning Rd NE, Washington, DC 20002 (Map)
- Parking is available at this location
- The Minnesota Avenue Metro Station is about 1.2 miles away from this location (about a 23 minute walk)
- The Stadium Armory Metro Station is about 1.3 miles away from this location (about a 26 minute walk)
Project: Volunteers will help the Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) to collect bags containing wild rice (Zizania aquatica) by canoe and waders from the wetlands by Langston Golf Course! For over 15 years, AWS has been collecting wild rice seed as part of our wetland restoration efforts in the tidal Anacostia River. The seed collected in the bags will be used for propagation in the Anacostia River in the spring of 2023 through mudballing (seeding) and the production of seedlings that will be transplanted in the river once they reach a suitable size.
On this workday we will collect the bags by clipping the seedhead stalks.
This event may require wading in the mud/water in warm weather conditions and paddling by canoe. Sunglasses are a plus to protect your eyes from the spiky wild rice seed. Bring plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Difficult - Very muddy!
- This event requires wading in very mucky mud and water in warm weather conditions, paddling, lifting, and bending. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register to receive additional information about the event.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- For those 5 years and older: Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), everyone 5 years of age and older is now eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccination. The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also requires that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
- For those under 5 years old: We welcome those who are under age 5 and are not yet eligible for the vaccines to participate in our events, but they must follow the below additional requirements, including being masked for the duration of the event.
2. Self-Monitoring: All AWS event and worksite participants are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 5 years or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are fully vaccinated, but are not up-to-date on your booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVD-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you have had any close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 10 days, (even if you are fully vaccinated or have been tested), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to the [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential.
3. Masks: Eligible participants (i.e. those meeting AWS's COVID-19 requirements--see above) are not required to wear a mask for outdoor events. No indoor events are taking place at this time.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
For more information before the event, please contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Registration is required
Click here to register