Vegetation Survey at Kingman
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Meeting Location: We will meet at Langston Golf Course: 2600 Benning Rd NE, Washington, DC 20002 (Map) and then walk to the project site.
- Parking is available at this location
- The Stadium Armory Metro Station is about 1 mile away from this location (about a 21 minute walk)
- The Minnesota Avenue Metro Station is about 1.4 miles away from this location (about a 29 minute walk)
- Additional parking is also available at the Langston Driving Range Parking Lot
Project: Join us for a fun vegetation survey along the riverside area of Kingman Island at Langston Golf Course. This is part of a natural resources management plan for the golf course in partnership with National Links Trust. Participants will help AWS and NLT identify plant species of all kinds and measuring trees.
Requirements: Basic knowledge in plant ID is a plus, but not required. Having the free iNaturalist application, though not required, is a plus because we will be using it to document species at the site.
Bring water and dress for field work (long pants and closed-toed shoes - we will be walking through some areas covered in poison ivy).
Physical Level of Difficulty: Moderate
- This event requires walking on uneven terrain, lifting, and bending. Please be aware that we will be walking through some areas covered in poison ivy. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Protocols and requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also highly recommends that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
2. Self-Monitoring: All AWS event and worksite participants are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 6 months or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVID-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential, but want to notify those who may have been exposed.
- AWS does not require masks indoors or outdoors for event/worksite participants. Wearing a mask indoors or outdoors during AWS programing is an individual’s choice that is to be respected and supported.
- In addition, wearing a mask is optional for all AWS employees and representatives, except when required or requested by program participants or while conducting AWS business at other locations (e.g. schools) that require/request masking.
- There may come a time when we see a spike in COVID-19 infections and masks could become required again.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
For more information before the event, please contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Registration is required
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER