Habitat Restoration Workday at Kingman
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Saturday, May 20, 2023
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Meeting Location: Langston Golf Course Driving Range: 3047 Benning Rd NE, Washington, DC 20002 (Map). If using GPS, we recommend typing "Langston Driving Range" directly into the search bar, as sometimes typing 3047 Benning Rd NE will lead you to the other side of the street. The address 2556 Benning Rd NE can also be used to find the driving range parking lot. Below is a map to show how to enter the parking lot from Benning Rd and where to meet us.
- Parking is available at this location
- The Minnesota Avenue Metro Station is about 1.1 miles away from this location (about a 21 minute walk)
Description: Volunteers will join the Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) and National Links Trust (NLT) for a Habitat Restoration Workday! During this workday you will help AWS with our invasive plant control and revegetation efforts along the riverside area of Kingman Island at Langston Golf Course. This is part of a natural resources management plan for the golf course in partnership with National Links Trust. By participating in this project you will not only have the opportunity to learn about invasive plants and the ecology of the Anacostia River, you will help us to improve the habitat for wildlife and the water quality of the Anacostia River.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult
- This event will likely involve lifting, bending, and walking. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
For more information before the event, contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Protocols and requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also highly recommends that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
2. Self-Monitoring: All AWS event and worksite participants are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 6 months or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVID-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential, but want to notify those who may have been exposed.
- AWS does not require masks indoors or outdoors for event/worksite participants. Wearing a mask indoors or outdoors during AWS programing is an individual’s choice that is to be respected and supported.
- In addition, wearing a mask is optional for all AWS employees and representatives, except when required or requested by program participants or while conducting AWS business at other locations (e.g. schools) that require/request masking.
- There may come a time when we see a spike in COVID-19 infections and masks could become required again.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
Registration is required
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER