Habitat Restoration Workday at Colmar Manor Community Park
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Sunday, March 12, 2023
Time: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Meeting Location: Colmar Manor Community Park, Colmar Manor Maryland, near the DC/MD line: 3510 37th Ave, Colmar Manor, MD 20722 (Map). From Bladensburg Road in Colmar Manor, turn south onto 37th Ave., between the IHOP and the Ft. Lincoln Cemetery. Take your first right into the park and follow the road until you are able to make a left towards the basketball court parking lot (just past the baseball field).
Description: Volunteers will join the Anacostia Watershed Society and Bat Conservation International for a Habitat Restoration Workday along the Anacostia River at Colmar Manor Community Park! During this workday we will focus on removing invasive plants to clear an area along the Anacostia River in preparation for a bat tree planting later this spring! The tree canopy along this stretch of the Anacostia River has been devastated by the invasive emerald ash borer beetle. Planting more native and bat-friendly trees that are not affected by the beetle will help us to restore the tree canopy, prevent erosion of the riverbank, manage stormwater and filter surface water before it goes into the Anacostia River, and create habitat for wildlife. By participating in this project, you will help us to improve the water quality of the Anacostia River and the habitat for bats and other wildlife.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult
- This event will likely involve lifting, bending, and walking in some steep and muddy areas. To get to the site, volunteers will walk about half a mile to a mile. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event.
For more information before the event, contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Protocols and requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also highly recommends that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
2. Self-Monitoring: All AWS event and worksite participants are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 6 months or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVID-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential, but want to notify those who may have been exposed.
- AWS does not require masks indoors or outdoors for event/worksite participants. Wearing a mask indoors or outdoors during AWS programing is an individual’s choice that is to be respected and supported.
- In addition, wearing a mask is optional for all AWS employees and representatives, except when required or requested by program participants or while conducting AWS business at other locations (e.g. schools) that require/request masking.
- There may come a time when we see a spike in COVID-19 infections and masks could become required again.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.