CANCELLED - Mussel May - Freshwater Mussel Release
Note: This event has been rescheduled due to weather. Please join us on Sunday, May 21st, 10-11am instead!
Looking for more mussel-themed events? Check out our full Mussel May schedule.
Meeting Location: Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens (KAG): 1550 Anacostia Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20019 (map) - we will walk from the entrance of KAG to Kenilworth Lake, which is about a mile away, so please wear shoes you are comfortable walking in!
- The Deanwood Metro Station is about 0.5 miles away from this location (about an 11 minute walk)
- Parking is available at this location
Project: Volunteers will help AWS with a wild freshwater mussel restoration by helping us to release adult mussels into the wild! Registration is required for participating, but we encourage anyone from the public to come and watch.
In 2015, we started surveying the native species of freshwater mussels in the Anacostia River to understand their diversity and abundance. In 2018 we started a mussel propagation project partnering with the Harrison Lake National Fish Hatchery run by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Virginia collecting local broodstock from the Anacostia River. Volunteers are critical to keep this project going and to meet our goal of enhancing mussel populations to increase their water filtration capacity to help clean our river.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- This event will involve lifting, bending, and walking. Participants will be expected to wear closed-toed shoes for the duration of the event. If you think any of the physical requirements will be problematic, please let us know.
Registration is required. Please register prior to the event date to receive additional information about the event.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Protocols and requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:The Anacostia Watershed Society requires that all participants who are eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine be fully vaccinated per the CDC guidelines and attest to being fully vaccinated in order to participate in any of our events. AWS also highly recommends that all participants be up-to-date on booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine when eligible. Please see additional requirements listed in the below sections.
2. Self-Monitoring: All AWS event and worksite participants are required to:
- Complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated and are eligible to receive the vaccination (i.e. 6 months or older), please do not come to the event.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVID-19 (such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, etc.), do not come to the event.
- If you are able to attend the event and become ill within one week of participating in the event, please report this to [email protected] (our Human Resources email address). We will keep your identity confidential, but want to notify those who may have been exposed.
- AWS does not require masks indoors or outdoors for event/worksite participants. Wearing a mask indoors or outdoors during AWS programing is an individual’s choice that is to be respected and supported.
- In addition, wearing a mask is optional for all AWS employees and representatives, except when required or requested by program participants or while conducting AWS business at other locations (e.g. schools) that require/request masking.
- There may come a time when we see a spike in COVID-19 infections and masks could become required again.
4. Reservations: Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
For more information before the event, please contact Emily Castelli at [email protected] or call 301-699-6204 x103.
Registration is required for participants.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER