From 10/17/21 10:00 am until 10/17/21 12:00 pm
At Kenilworth Park
301-699-6204 ext. 103
Categories: Work Days and Clean Ups
Note: This event is weather dependent
Date: Sunday, October 17 2021
Time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Location: Kenilworth Park, 4000 Deane Ave NE, Washington, DC (map link) - Follow Deane Ave around to reach that parking lot on the map.
Project: Volunteers will help AWS to release freshwater mussels by canoe, into the Anacostia River! In 2015, we started surveying the native species of freshwater mussels in the Anacostia River to understand their diversity and abundance. In 2018 we started a mussel propagation project partnering with the Harrison Lake National Fish Hatchery run by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Virginia collecting local broodstock from the Anacostia River. Volunteers are critical to keep this project going and to meet our goal of enhancing mussel populations to increase their water filtration capacity to help clean our river.
Physical Level of Difficulty: Easy to moderate
Bathroom Situation: Bathrooms will not be available for use on site.
Registration is required. Please register at least 2 days prior to the event date you chose to volunteer in order to receive additional information regarding proper clothing, etc. Anyone who doesn't register online will be denied access to the event.
Participant Requirements for Volunteer and Recreational Events:
Note: Requirements are subject to change based on state, local, and federal guidance and/or our own organizational determinations.
1. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
2. Self-Monitoring: All participants in the Anacostia Watershed Society’s (AWS) event are required to:
3. Masks & Physical Distancing: All participants must wear a mask properly (over the nose and mouth) and physically distance for the duration of our outdoor events. No indoor events are taking place at this time.
4. Reservations: We are limiting the number of people at our events. Pre-registration is encouraged and may be required via AWS’s website (www.anacostiaws.org). All registrations require each participant to complete our Event Waiver Form and our COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to participation.
5. Group Limits: Events are limited to groups of up to 20-25, depending on the activity and location. There may be fewer or more participants depending on the ability to social distance and whether local directives allow. • Note: Motorized Boat Tours are limited to up to 15-20 people depending on the ability to physically distance and whether local directives allow.
Registration is required to participate
Click here to register